Thursday, March 21, 2013

Make A Wish

When Jacob was diagnosed with Mitochondrial Disease, we were talking to a doctor and he was joking around saying "Well good news is, now you can qualify for Make a Wish!"  I didnt even think that we would qualify but when he said that, I thought...hmm thats a good idea!  After all he has been through in his short life, I thought it would be amazing to be able to do something fun and not have to worry about medical issues.  I went on the website and saw that I could recommend him myself, so thats what I did.  About a week later, I had a call from Make a Wish (MAW) and she just got all his info and doctors info and said that she would contact me again when she hears from the doctor.  I actually had completely forgotten that I had put in info to have a wish.  So I was surprised when they called a few weeks later to say that Jacob was qualified and that he would be getting a wish!!  She told me that they will have a volunteer call me within 6 weeks to schedule a time to meet.  The wish granter finally called about 4 weeks later and we had an appointment to meet 2 weeks later.

When he called, he wanted to introduce himself, and his partner to us.  They were actually friends who work at the same place and they both had gone to volunteer for MAW at the same time, but had no idea they were both doing the wishes until they had seen each other there.  So they decided to go in together and grant a wish...and that just happened to be Jacob!!  Our wish granters names are Jamie and Nicole.  I am so grateful for their willingness to do a wish for our boy!  So they wanted to come over and talk to Jacob about his wish and what they can do to make his wish come true.  They were so sweet and wanted to bring over dinner when they came so of course, they brought Panda!  If you know my boys, you know how much they LOVE panda!!

So Tom and I wanted to talk to Jake quite a bit about his wish to make sure that he would make a wish that was appropriate.  Jacob LOVES music and I know that he would love to meet someone weird haha.  So we totally were trying to get him to NOT pick something like that.  When we would ask him what he wanted his wish to be he kept saying things that Tom or Tyler would like...but this is ALL about Jacob.  So we needed to find out what HE wanted.  So I was showing him some stories and videos on the MAW website and he saw people going to Florida and going to Disney World and stuff so once I heard that, I knew that would be awesome!!  He went to YouTube and found lots of fun videos of going on rides.  So he was so excited.  So when his wish granters came to talk to him, he was ready!  He told them right away that he wanted to go to Florida.  I put in some dates and then we found out that we get to go April 20th!  YAY!!  It is coming up in a month and we are so excited!  I will post more details about it once we know more. But all we know is when we are going and coming back and that we get to go to all the parks.  Oh, and we are staying on Disney property somewhere.


No comments:

Post a Comment