Friday, September 26, 2014

Hospital again?!?!

The title says it all.  We were in the hospital AGAIN!  UGH!!!

Last tuesday night I decided to randomly take Jakes temp.  He wasnt acting very sick but I just thought I would take it.  I am so glad I did because he had a fever!!  Jacob never gets fevers so I knew he was sick.  I waited for a little while to see if it would go down but it never did.  It just got higher.  So I took him to the ER.  Jacob had been sick for a few weeks off and on.  He has had a bunch of viral sicknesses.  So the ER doc said that his blood work looked great and it didnt show any signs of infection.  So we could go home because it was just a virus. I was happy because we had a very important doc appt to go to the next day.  We have been waiting to see this doc and I did not want to have to cancel the appt.

I went and bought tylenol and motrin to give to Jake hoping that his fever would go away.  When I gave him the meds the fever thankfully went away.  So I went to sleep and woke up a few hours later to take Tom to work.  I went in and took his temp and it was almost 104!!  I gave him more meds and prayed that his fever would go away for this doc appt we had later that morning.  Thankfully it did, but Jacob was very sick and you could tell.  He had chills so bad and was in and out of sleeping.  He would just sit there and whine because he did not feel good.  We  went to the appt and everything went good...until Jacob threw up!!  It was so sad.  I felt so bad for taking him out when he is obviously sick.  The doc knew he was sick and wanted us to take him to PCH rather than cardons.  He wanted us to see a doc at PCH and knew that we would get to see him sooner if we ended up inpatient there.  I told him I would think about it and if we had to take him back to the ER, I would take him to the PCH ER.

After the appt we took Jake back home and I went to get gas because if we were going to go to PCH I needed gas and I knew that Jacob wouldnt be too happy sitting in the car while i gassed up.  I got home and Karla (his nurse) said that his temp was back up to 102 and that we should probably take him back to the ER.  Right as we were about to leave I got a call from Cardons ER. They said that the cultures they took of Jakes line last night came back POSITIVE for infection!  And that we needed to get back there ASAP so they could admit us and start him on antibiotics.  I hung up with her and the door bell rang.  It was the district nurse here for our yearly appt!  I was so stressed out haha.  She came and I told her what was going on and to ask Karla all the questions because I was trying to get things ready.  Her appt lasted about 10 min and I was ready to take Jake to the hospital.

We get there and get taken right back because they had been expecting us.  So they take all kinds of blood work and cultures of his line again and we wait a few hours and finally they put us up on our floor.  When we got there Jacob was getting really sick.  His temp went up to 105!  It was really scary.  I have never seen a temp that high before.  His body started to shut down.  His blood pressure was starting to go low again.  They made the decision to send us back to the PICU.  So back down to the icu we went.  We were only on the floor for 2 hours haha.  Once we were there the doc was able to start him on a rescue med for his blood pressure to bring it up.  Except it wasnt coming up!  So he had to stay on this med for a whole day.  Finally it started coming up and stayed up the rest of the time.  He was on 2 different antibiotics to fight off whatever was giving him problems.  They finally found what the bacteria was that was causing the infection and got us on the right antibiotic.  And that did the trick.  We were able to save the line and we only stayed in the hospital for 8 days!  Compared to the last 2 stays, this was a breeze haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment